Friday, December 23, 2011

'Tis the Season to be Hedonistic

We all know that the holidays can easily go awry, and turn into a materialistic orgy.  But I also tend to kind of forget about that, since I'm surrounded by women (and people) who try to keep their focus on Christ and their families.  I know that materialism is always crouching at the door, and that present-opening with the kids on Christmas morning can easily become what I've termed the "greed-fest."  But we don't go overboard with gifts, don't go into debt, and often my kids get only thrift-store presents--which is just fine with them.

So, it was still a shock to me when I saw McDonald's ad campaign this season:


Celebrate Season's Cravings

I guess, in a way, it's not all that bad.  But the more I thought about it, the more it irritated me.  Celebrate your cravings?  Man, they may as well just say, "Celebrate Hedonism."  I know, it's McDonald's.  What should I expect?  They have to keep the American population obese somehow.  But geesh....couldn't they come up with something better than merely satiating your urges at Christmas?

What do you think?  Am I being way too uptight?  Or do you find it annoying too?

No comments:

Post a Comment